... Farrell said he hopes SS Stephen Drew, sidelined since last Friday after aggravating his right hamstring, will be | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
jgs Mar 6
INDIANAPOLIS -- Andrew Luck cherishes his European roots. Harold Carmichael Jersey .As a child, he learned to appreciate the history, the cultures and the sights of a whole different part of the world.As an adult, he uses the bustling cosmopolitan cities as his personal refuge, a place where he can spend part of the summer relaxing and enjoying life like just another face in the crowd.All of which makes this weekends business trip to London, one of his childhood hometowns, a little different. This time, there will be nowhere for one of the NFLs higher-profile quarterbacks to hide.I am looking forward to it -- as just another game, Luck said Wednesday. It doesnt really matter where we play. Its not like were going to Big Ben or Buckingham Palace, youre going there to play the game.Any other week, the Indianapolis Colts franchise quarterback would be peppered with questions about dissecting Jacksonvilles defense.And while that assignment certainly takes precedence for Luck, this week also has been about finding the proper balance playing the roles of team leader, teacher and tour guide for a city he knows well.Oliver Luck moved his family to Frankfurt, Germany, when Andrew was a toddler then relocated the family to London a few years later.There, the eventual No. 1 overall draft pick spent his formative school years and developed an affinity for many things European -- a trait that has made Luck one of the most unique American sports celebrities.Despite signing a six-year, $140 million contract in June, Luck still clings to his old-fashioned flip phone and still remains passionate about soccer.Last spring, he started his own online book club, and, yes, occasionally he can be spotted riding a bike around town to pick up food.What really makes him different, though, is his unquenchable thirst for detailed knowledge and his ability to pass it on.The first time I really saw it was when we landed in Denver, rookie center Ryan Kelly said. Theres this huge horse right near the airport, and he knows the whole thing about it so he started telling us the story.Im sure as soon as we land in London, hes going to be telling us some story, not about Big Ben or something like that, but about something nobody knows about. Its pretty fascinating, really.Luck has plenty of stories to share from both sides of the pond.Some of his teammates, such as Pro Bowl receiver T.Y. Hilton could benefit from Lucks advice about where to go, what to do and how to get around. Hilton has never traveled or lived outside the U.S.Others have their own experiences to rely upon.Assistant head coach Joe Philbin made the midseason European jaunt twice when he was head coach of the Miami Dolphins, going 1-1.Head coach Chuck Pagano has acknowledged that he consulted with Philbin, Indys offensive line coach, before mapping out a schedule.Running back Jordan Todman lost both games he played at Wembley Stadium as part of the Jaguars (0-3), but found a couple of hangout spots.I have a thing for Harrods Mall and I like Piccadilly Square as well. Its a cool place, Todman said. Everything about it is cool. Check it out, different accents, its fun.Running back Frank Gores two trips proved more successful. He ran for a combined 189 yards, scored three touchdowns and came home with two wins.But its not easy living up to Lucks standard.He was pretty business-like because we had a camp there when we went, Dwayne Allen said, recalling the time he spent with Luck in London this summer.But I was able to see some sights, and I dont know a lot about British history, but he taught me a lot.So what does Luck want his teammates to know about London?Its a fabulous place to visit during the offseason when theres time to take it all in.But this week only one thing matters: The Colts (1-2) trying to come home with a .500 record.I try to go to London every year because its sort of easy to get to, and I really enjoy going to a soccer game or whatever and I get to be sort of anonymous and just a normal bloke, Luck said. This week, were going there to play a game and thats our focus.---Online: AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL Randall Cunningham Jersey . "We have always prided ourselves on the way we play defence. Having two big pieces back is going to be a key for us moving forward for years to come," said Knighthawks head coach Mike Hasen. Seth Joyner Jersey . Then the Pacers gave Oladipo and his Orlando teammates the cold shoulder. Paul Georges buzzer-beating 3-pointer at the end of the third quarter spurred a 21-4 run, finally sending Indiana past the Magic 97-87 in a tougher-than-expected opening night matchup. http:///...c-trey-burton-jersey . Blackwood, 28, has played the last three seasons in the San Diego Padres system, including the past two summers with Class AA San Antonio of the Texas League.BOSTON -- Dustin Pedroia has been in the heart of Bostons batting order during its strong start. His play was on the mind of San Diego manager Bud Black before the game. Pedroia hit a two-run double to jump-start Bostons 18-hit effort, David Ortiz had a two-run single and the Red Sox wrapped up a big homestand by beating San Diego 8-2 Thursday, sending the Padres to their season-high sixth straight loss. "Hes been in the middle of this offence from Day One and continues to be so," Red Sox manager John Farrell said of Pedroia, who raised his average to .325 by going 2 for 4. Brandon Snyder and Jacoby Ellsbury each had solo homers for the Red Sox. Boston went 8-1 at Fenway Park to match its best homestand since June 2010. The Red Sox also won for the 12th time in its last 14 games at home. The AL East leaders improved to 19 games over .500 (53-34). Sitting in his uncomfortably warm office about two hours before the game, Black praised the play of Pedroia. It didnt take long for the Red Sox second baseman to make him look good. "Pedroia might be the MVP of the league so far. I think you can make a case for it," he said. Pedroias two-run double in the first moved Boston ahead 2-0. Ellsbury singled leading off to extend his season-high hitting streak to 14 games and Shane Victorino doubled off the Green Monster before Pedroia doubled into the left-field corner. "What were seeing of late is hes starting to pull the ball," Farrell said. "Its a byproduct of getting pitched in a little more because hes gotten so many hits the other way. We know that when either an offspeed pitch stays in the middle of the plate or a fastballs in the inner part of the plate, hes always been a dead-pull hitter in those locations of pitches." The 2008 AL MVP just feels like hes taking a simple approach each time he steps to the plate. "I feel good," he said. "It depends if the balls in. Im trying to hit the ball where its pitched. If Im pulling the ball, it means theyre throwing it in a little more. Thats it." The Padres have scored just seven runs in their losing streak. They also lost for the 10th time in 12 games. "They know whats ahead of them. They know what the challenge is," Black said after the game. "This is the part of the season, part of the summer where its hot, its hot for everybody. Youve got to keep pushing through. We were swept in this series. Weve swept some teams to get back in the race in the west, but our guys know whats in front of them." Allen Webster (1-2) pitched six innings for his first major league win, allowing two runs and five hits, while walking four and striiking out two. Vinny Curry Jersey. Chase Headley didnt feel like the slump has been that bad despite the team scoring two or fewer nine of the last 12 games. "I think its looked worse than it has been," he said. "Weve had some at-bats in situations where we had a chance to drive in runs and the guys hit the ball hard and it just hasnt gone in the hole for us. Obviously its disappointing when you put one, two runs up on the board for an extended period of time. I think as a group, I dont think its maybe as far off as it looks." The Red Sox open a three-city, 10-game West Coast trip Friday night in Anaheim against the Angels. Eric Stults (6-7) gave up four runs and nine hits over 4 1-3 innings without walking or striking out a batter. He was tagged for seven runs -- six earned -- in 3 2-3 innings in his previous start Saturday in a loss at Miami after giving up two runs or less in his previous six. In the second, Snyder homered into Bostons bullpen to make it 3-0. Ortizs bases-loaded, two-run single off reliever Tyson Ross in the sixth gave the Red Sox a comfortable 7-2 lead. Ellsbury homered over the bullpens to make it 8-2. Headleys sacrifice fly had cut it to 3-1 in the third before Jose Iglesias run-scoring, ground-rule double pushed Bostons lead back to three an inning later. The Padres sliced it to 4-2 in the fifth on Jesus Guzmans single high off the left-field wall -- when he missed a homer by a couple of feet -- but Webster got Mark Kotsay to line to left, ending the inning with two runners on. Jonny Gomes RBI single made it 5-2. NOTES: Black said he expects SS Everth Cabrera, on the 15-day DL since June 19 with an injured left hamstring, to be activated when the club opens a three-game series against the Nationals on Friday night. ... Boston 1B Mike Napoli was back in the lineup after getting Wednesday night off. With a left-hander starting for San Diego, Gomes was also inserted into the lineup one day after hitting a game-ending homer in the ninth inning. ... Black also discussed options for his teams struggling offence. "You have to try and do everything you can to get things going," he said, saying theyd run and bunt with the right people. "When youre not scoring things look a little flat. As people in the game know, that happens everywhere. When you score, sometimes you score in bunches and you lose and the pitching wasnt solid, but youre playing hard. Were playing hard, but were just not scoring runs." ... Farrell said he hopes SS Stephen Drew, sidelined since last Friday after aggravating his right hamstring, will be back in the lineup Saturday. ... The gametime temperature was 91. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '